Welcome to the audio file from week one of the Starke Nutrition 6 week challenge.
For those who missed the first meeting we reviewed our app and our first habit which is taking in protein at every meal and snack. Protein is an essential macronutrient required for almost every function in the body.
We recommend a palm sized serving at every mean or snack OR .75 grams of protein / pound of body weight (example: a 150lb individual would need 113g of protein a day if you split that up between three meals and two snacks 5/113 = 22.6g of protein per “meal” if you’re only eating three meals a day the requirement jumps up to 38g / meal / day (3/113 = 38g)
Why is protein important?
Protein is a macronutrient that is essential for the proper functioning of the body. It is made up of amino acids, which are the building blocks of all cells in the body. Here are some of the key functions of protein in the body:
- Building and repairing tissues: Protein is needed to build and repair tissues in the body, including muscles, bones, skin, and organs.
- Enzyme and hormone production: Many enzymes and hormones are made up of protein. These substances play important roles in metabolism, growth, and development.
- Transport and storage: Certain proteins are responsible for transporting molecules throughout the body, such as hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood.
- Immune system function: Antibodies, which are proteins, help to identify and neutralize foreign substances in the body, such as viruses and bacteria.
- Energy production: While carbohydrates and fats are the primary sources of energy for the body, protein can be broken down and used for energy when these other sources are not available.
Overall, protein is essential for the growth, repair, and maintenance of the body’s tissues and organs, as well as for the proper functioning of many important bodily processes. It is important to consume enough protein as part of a balanced diet to support overall health and wellbeing.
Check out the audio for our first meeting here https://youtu.be/8SH2PgM0SVI